Did I mention I love purple? hehe I couldn’t think of a good title for this post, so I figured I would just go with purple because it makes me happy.
I made a lot of progress today, but overall this weekend, I didn’t get quite as much done as I thought I might. Luckily, I made up for it today for the most part.
On Friday, I tried to get some things done, but it kept raining and messing up my productivity. I did manage to seal the tiles and put three coats of polish on them to prevent staining. I will add a few more coats once I’m a little further along. I also started to rebuild the door on Friday. I can’t finish it until the new skin arrives, but I can at least get it ready for the skin. I will need to do the same with the baggage door.
After that, I decided to try out my new metal polish on one of the window trim pieces. It works pretty well but I’m still not sure if it’s any better than just using Windex or something similar. The bulk of the work was done with my steel brush to get the old paint and grime off.
On Saturday, I did a bit of shopping and then went to my cousin’s house for her son’s 5th birthday party. I didn’t get anything done on Junebug that day unless you count the cute drawer pulls I picked up from Anthropologie that I will be adding to Junebug’s cabinets.
Today, I was pretty productive. The first thing I did was go to Lowe’s to pick up some more wood, a spade drill bit (for drilling bigger holes), and some more stainless steel wood screws for the frame.
When I got back from Lowe’s, I decided to pull out the old countertop so that I could replace it with a new one. It proved to be very difficult to remove, thanks to the fact that they glued it to the frame. I finally pried it loose after a lot of sweating and cursing (and help from my neighbor). haha
I used the old countertop as a template for cutting the new countertop.
I then used my spade bit to drill a starter hole in the sink cutout so that I could finish the cut with my jigsaw.
Next, I applied the contact cement and then let it set for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, I put some wood strips over the MDF so that I could be sure the positioning was correct for the laminate before it permanently stuck to the board.
Once it was positioned correctly, I removed the strips and applied pressure.
And now it’s time for the router to do its job!
Next, I added some more support boards across the rear and attached the rear panel.
Overall, I’m pretty pleased with everything I got done this weekend. I still need to order a new router bit to cut the groove in the new countertop for the new trim. Unfortunately that’s going to cost me around $50. Too bad I didn’t already have all these tools to begin with! That’s about half the cost since I’m starting from scratch. Oh well, after this I’ll be equipped to do any kind of woodworking project! Now it’s time to relax and finish doing laundry so I’m ready for work tomorrow. See you next weekend!
Good work! Load up all those tools in June Bug and come help us work on our house!
I wish I could! It would be fun to come visit, even if you put me to work. Too bad I have my day job.
I’m lealous! You are so talented and have so much patience! I’m ADHD when I’m working on mine jumping from one thing to the other so my garage looks like a disaster! Seriously thoughagain great job (hope you dont get tired of me complimenting you) I truly know how difficult restoring a vintage camper can be.
Thanks Erik, of course I will never get tired of compliments! I am working so hard during basically all of my free time on this project. Sometimes when I feel really frustrated and want to quit, a compliment is just what I need to cheer up and keep going! 🙂