I’m a little overdue for this post, sorry! I had my unveiling party last Friday, and I think it was a huge success! The next day, I ran a 5K (Wicked Wine Run, 5K and then wine tasting at the end haha) and then on Sunday, I rested. I had a pretty busy week at work, so I am just now getting around to writing an update on here about the festivities. I will start by sharing some photos of Junebug after I got her all ready for the party. I was very pleased with how she turned out, even though I still have a few more things to complete (screen door, baggage door, trim around bottom edge of exterior). The day of the party, I hopped out of bed at 6am, eager to finish making all of the preparations. I think that’s the first time in my adult life that I’ve ever gotten up that early on my own for something non-work related. haha
I had about 40 people show up for the party, and it was a great time! Everyone was very excited to see the finished product. I asked everyone to dress up in 1950s/60s outfits to get in the mood. I ordered my dress, shoes, and petticoat from www.pinupgirlclothing.com. I love that site! They have the cutest pin up clothes, and the quality is great.
I was supposed to go to the TCT vintage camper rally in Lake Charles, Louisiana this weekend. Unfortunately, I am having problems with my tail lights and I decided I couldn’t go. I didn’t wire them myself, I had Oscar do that, and now they don’t work properly. The weird part is that they work fine when they’re plugged into Oscar’s Ford Explorer. For some reason, they don’t work right when connected to my VW Tiguan. I’m sure it’s some kind of compatibility issue, but I don’t know how to fix it. I’m taking Junebug to the place that installed my wiring and hitch on the Tiguan either tomorrow or Saturday morning, depending on the weather. I even ordered new tail lights from www.vintagetrailersupply.com and that didn’t fix the problem.
My plan for the weekend is to hopefully get the tail lights fixed, then finish building the new screen door. I also borrowed a soldering iron from my friend Casey’s boyfriend, so that I could solder all of the wire connections together in the camper. I am still a little nervous they might come loose while I’m towing the camper somewhere and then become hazardous when I’m camping due to exposed wires. I thought if I really wanted to be on the safe side, I could solder the wires together and melt some shrink wrap over them to ensure they don’t come apart.
I am planning to go to Austin next weekend for a baby sprinkle, so I’m thinking I may take Junebug there for the first big trip since the restoration. We’ll see, it all depends on the tail lights! Either way, I’m definitely taking her to her first vintage camper rally the weekend of October 10-11 to join the Texas Vintage Trailer Club’s rally in Fentress, TX. Can’t wait!
Loved seeing the pics of how you decorated the interior. Looks great!
I have so enjoyed your blog. Looking forward to further adventures! Just a note on the wiring: I know that the vehicle install people are not sure how to wire certain vehicles. I just had my Toyota truck done, and the installer told me it might not be right so he had left the wires on my truck accessible in case he was wrong and had to connect the wires differently. Luckily, he did wire it correctly, but my horse trailer had a bad plug so then I had to get that fixed. Had a Dodge truck and the installer wired the connector wrong.
Thanks Susan! I dropped off Junebug at the same place that did my trailer hitch and wiring in my Tiguan. If the Tiguan is wired incorrectly, they’ll have to fix it. I figured that was the safest option. They said it should be fixed by mid-week. Fingers crossed!
Update: Sure enough, my vehicle’s converter they installed wasn’t working correctly and they had to replace it with a different one. They also added some additional ground wires to my taillights and now they work great!