Today, I continued my quest of glueing birch veneer onto the remaining bits of wood in the camper that aren’t getting replaced. I was fairly successful, although today I had a few mishaps.
Once I got all of the pieces measured and cut, I got out my new can of contact cement and opened it up. It’s much faster to pour a bit straight out of the can onto the veneer because it’s very porous and takes a lot of cement to really stick. So, this is what I did. Everything was going great until the can slipped and about half of my contact cement poured out onto the work table. Let me clarify, it didn’t just pour out, it projectile vomited out of the can all over the place. AAHH!! It was about this very moment that I noticed the warning label on the top of the canister that said to shut off the main gas valve to the house before using due to the highly flammable fumes. This was very alarming seeing as how my hot water heater with a LIT PILOT LIGHT was about two feet away. Needless to say, I did not stop to take a picture of the mess to post here and set about cleaning it up as quickly as possible. I then ran to my room to get my fan and set it up to hopefully disburse the fumes before I burned my house down. Since I am writing this now, you know that I am safe and didn’t burn down the house but I was really worried there for a minute! It took me a while to get all of the contact cement off of my hands once I was done with this task. I spent a few minutes wondering if I might have webbed hands after today. This could have come in handy for swimming, but I really like having normal hands, so luckily my fingers separated after a few washes. Maybe I should wear gloves next time…
After about 20 minutes, I started to apply the veneer. It did NOT go as well as yesterday, and I made a few mistakes. I’m really hoping that once I apply the shellac and get everything put back in the camper, it won’t be very noticeable.
As I was using my razor blade to trim around the edges on the cabinet face, I slipped and sliced my index finger right on the tip. It was a pretty deep cut, oops! I was just not having a very lucky day. But at least I didn’t burn the house down (yet) so that’s looking on the bright side! Now I’m off to relax and enjoy that last little bit of my weekend before returning to the daily grind tomorrow. I wish I could quit my job sometimes but then I wouldn’t be able to fund this expensive hobby (and believe me, it’s not cheap!).