So I spent most of yesterday going to different stores looking for stainless steel screws in the right size to replace all of the rusty screws that I have been removing from poor Junebug’s skin. Everything I have removed is rusty it seems. Not to mention the dry rot. And the water damage. And some weird white powder all over the wall after I removed the old insulation (what is that stuff??). Anyway, I didn’t make a lot of progress, and I ran out of time in the evening to write a post since I had to get ready to go to a party at a friend’s house.
After I got back from the store, my neighbor, always curious, came over to see what I had been up to. He was impressed that I had removed some of the skin myself and bought several new power tools. We went inside the camper to look at the cabinets, and the next thing I knew, he was helping me remove the old ice box. This wasn’t on my original agenda for the day, but hey, I’ll take the help when I can get it! Actually, it has been pretty easy so far to get random help from my neighbors. I think they are just as excited about this project as I am! The ice box (and it’s literally an ice box, not a refrigerator), came loose pretty easily, and we thought we could just pull it right out. But that turned out not to be the case (big surprise). It was attached to the cabinet toward the front and we couldn’t figure out what in the world was holding it in. We tugged and pried and pulled and pushed. Nothing seemed to work, and I didn’t necessarily want to start removing the whole cabinet. Finally after lots of maneuvering, we discovered the big nails hidden away right behind the cabinet face. After cutting those with my wire cutters, the ice box slid right out!
That gaping hole will be the home for a new modern refrigerator at some point. I can’t wait to rip out this nasty carpet too. You can see all kinds of stains in it like the one in the picture above. Gross.