RSS Feed

The Money Pit

Posted on

My mom aptly called Junebug the “money pit” over Christmas.  I didn’t really mind since she contributed $50 toward the money pit as part of my Christmas present. 🙂

I’ve started tallying up what I’ve spent so far on Junebug through http://www.mint.com.  She has her own expense category.

  • Junebug’s purchase price = $3700
  • Tow hitch = $500 (would have been $400, but I got the hitch installed on the Jetta first, then had it removed, then had another one put on the Tiguan. Luckily the owner of the shop let me do a trade and only charged me for labor the second time around!)
  • Travel expenses to/from New Mexico to pick up Junebug = $497.65 (LOTS of gas on the way back, one downside to towing a trailer.  Luckily this didn’t include an additional $40 that was spent when my travel companion locked my keys in the car at the gas station in Fort Stockton)
  • New keys for main door and storage cabinet (because there were none) = $92
  • Porta potty = $107
  • Waterproof cover = $160
  • Leveling jacks = $50
  • Material for curtains and cushions, plus foam for seat backs = $260 (foam is really expensive!)
  • New leaf springs, rewired tail lights and general inspection = $300
  • State inspection and registration = $100 (this would be more if I counted the pain and suffering I had to go through during three trips to the tax assessor’s office and three trips to two different inspection places!)
  • Other miscellaneous items (Christmas decor, etc) = $300
  • WordPress blog about Junebug = $99

Total Cost (so far) = $6165 (yikes)

And.. I’m just getting started!  Below is the list of items that I still have yet to buy but think I need.  Guess my mom was pretty accurate in her description.

  • RV putty tape (for sealing the external seams) = $10
  • Stainless steel screws = $20
  • New drill = $200
  • Jigsaw = $100
  • Pliers with front nose nippers = $10
  • Multi purpose oscillating tool = $100
  • Birch paneling (at least 4-5 pieces) = $20 x 5 = $100
  • New insulation = $270
  • Amber shellac (for the interior wood) = $20
  • Quilted aluminum for backsplash = $40
  • New laminate for table and kitchen counter (probably won’t do that project for a while)= $200 – $300
  • New tile or laminate for floor = $200?
  • Either paint or new doors for cabinets = $40?
  • Several kinds of sealant = $30
  • Awning = $100 – $300 (depending on if I make it myself or pay someone)
  • Air conditioner (before summer) = $200-300 (depending on what kind I go with)
  • New siding and paint job (later) = $3000 or more
  • Electrician to fix the wiring = $100 – $200 (if I’m lucky)

Potential total left to spend (and I probably left out a bunch of stuff I don’t even know I need yet) = $5240

Total for Junebug = $11,405

Hmm, maybe I should have just spent the money on a fully restored one.   I guess that takes all the fun out of it though!

It’s all about the journey, not the destination.

2 responses »

  1. I’m restoring my 1959 Shasta by myself and am really enjoying reading your blog! When I tackled the project I had a rosy idea of what needed to be done. Of course, it has ballooned into a MUCH bigger project! I. too, wonder if I should have paid for a fully restored one, but I am enjoying all the new things I’m learning and the good excuses I’m finding to justify buying new tools 😀

    So far I’ve had to remove all the skin so I could replace ALL the front framing, ripped out the old tiles on the floor, next I will reframe the street side back corner, replace the floor tile, rewire and replumb the lights and appliances, then replace the skin and repaint. Whew!

    Keep the faith – we WILL get done (before summer camping weather, I hope)!

    Karen in Boulder

    Reply
    • Thanks Karen! It makes me happy that you enjoyed reading through my blog. I agree about buying new tools, I had no idea I would enjoy using tools as much as I have. It’s definitely fun to build something using the right tools! You’re lucky you could get all of your old tiles out. I tried and eventually gave up because I was worried about asbestos. I am just covering them with a thin layer of new subfloor and recovering with new tiles. Hopefully it will work fine. Good luck with your project! 🙂

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: